Disorderly Conduct vs. Public Intoxication

Two common charges distributed by law enforcement officials are disorderly conduct and public intoxication. However, while public drunkenness can cause someone to exhibit disorderly conduct, an actual public intoxication charge is more specific and has different requirements than a disorderly conduct charge.

Both public intoxication and disorderly conduct charges are subjectively determined by the opinions of a police officer. If you believe that you have been wrongfully charged with either of these crimes, you should fight them vigorously. Contact an experienced Dallas criminal defense lawyer from the Law Offices of Mark T. Lassiter at (214) 845-7007 to learn more about how we can help.

What is Disorderly Conduct?

Disorderly conduct generally refers to any activity that disturbs the peace and which would reasonably be expected to offend the average person. This includes the following forms of disruptive behavior, among others:

  • Public drunkenness
  • Playing loud music
  • Fighting
  • Participating in riots
  • Using loud, offensive language

Often, the police can use this charge as the basis upon which to arrest someone who is acting as a public nuisance.

Public Intoxication

Although public inebriation can count as disorderly conduct, public intoxication is a specific charge for someone who exhibits clear signs of drunkenness. Additionally, for charges of public intoxication, the inebriated individuals must pose a danger to themselves and/or people around them. For instance, a person heavily under the influence of alcohol is more susceptible to assault and robbery, and they can endanger others by drunkenly handling materials like fire.

Contact Us

Whatever the circumstances of your arrest, it is important that you consult with a skilled and experienced attorney who will passionately defend your case. You are innocent until proven guilty, and we can assist you. To discuss your case, contact a Dallas criminal defense attorney from the Law Offices of Mark T. Lassiter at (214) 845-7007 today.

Confidential Free Case Evaluation